Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Potty Training a Terror

Since I'm off on Christmas break, I thought this would be the perfect time to try to potty train my little monster, since we'll be home all day every day together.

We've been working on this whole potty training thing for a while now.  He has two potty chairs, and I just bought him a padded seat that we can take along with us anytime we go anywhere.  He does much better sitting down than standing up, and I'll let him go either way, but I refuse to let him sit on a nasty toilet in a public restroom.  So, until he's tall enough to reach the potty to aim while standing, the padded seat will go with us wherever we go.  If you see someone out and about with a potty seat sticking out of her purse or diaper bag, that's me.

I also increased our stock in underwear.  He has about 20 pairs now, and on a bad day, he goes through about 5.  On a good day, 2.  I think today is going to be a bad day.  He was playing here in the living room, and I heard the unmistakable splash of urine on the tile.  Normally, I'd go grab a dirty towel and clean it up.  I don't know if it's the lazy feeling I have today, or if I'm trying to get him to not want to pee on the floor (or maybe a combination of both), but I made him go get a towel and clean it up.  He fussed the whole time, but maybe it'll be a reminder for him next time he decides to just go in the middle of playing.  Diapers and pullups...  nothing but a convenience when a little boy is playing.

If I can potty train Gunner, then maybe, just maybe, I can start fixing his behavior as well.  These fits he throws, well, they're not really fits, they're reigns of terror.  He goes from being a happy little boy, and if he doesn't get his way, he starts screaming, throwing punches, and trying to kick.  I seriously think that if I can't get this under control, he's going to be one of those kids you see going crazy on their mom on a silly talk show.  The only difference is, there won't be any acting.  The good thing is, these fits he has don't come around as often as they could.  Some days are good, some days are REALLY bad.  Those are the days I wish it was legal to lock your kids in the closet and hang them by their toes.  At least I don't think it's legal...

Off to save my house from the little ones...  Sometimes I think there's no hope for this house (or any house we live in) until they're about 16.  Even then, I'm going to question it.  Maybe 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment